bigpigeon.us webpage WWII Roster > Roster Notes, © 2023 by Robert A. Christiansen, updated 20 Jan 2023.
Links to Big Pigeon's WWII Roster > Roster Notes subpages:
- Roster Demographics
- Awards for Valor - incomplete list of roster members who were Distinguished Service Cross or Silver Star recipients.
- Iowa Casualties & Dead - data taken from 1946 War and Navy Department reports.
- Pottawattamie Area WWiI Dead Roster Summary Data -- aggregate data about the roster dead.
Pottawattamie Area WWII Roster News:
More roster-related reports accessible from WWII Dead > Roster Central:
The Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard dead in the Pottawattamie Area WWII Dead Roster not in the 1946 Navy Dept. list of WWII Dead: (constructed 14 Feb 2023, will move elsewhere):
- Adams, Paul, SN 316-35-93, US Naval Aviation, Pott. Co. - d. 11 Mar 1945 Seattle, WA; murder.
- Battey, Norma Jane, unknown service nbr, US Navy Waves, Pott. Co. - d. 3 Oct 1943 San Diego, CA; natural causes.
- Branstiter, Daniel Starr, SN O-351249, US Naval Aviation, Pott. & Shelby Cos. - d. 17 Jul 1944, Perry Co., PA; collision of two training aircraft.
- Dea, James David, SN 325990, US Naval Aviation, Pott. & Shelby Cos. - d. 31 May 1944 in Princess Anne Co., Virginia near Harvey Pt.; plane stalled during practice bombing run; all nine dead.
- Enochson, Kenneth Duane Jr., SN O-36582, US Marine Corps Aviation, Pott. Co. - DNB 11 Sep 1945, near Columbia, SC; plane crash.
- Faurot, Owen Hugh, SN 648-04-18, US Naval Aviation, Pott. Co. - d. 7 Nov 1944, off Old Point Comfort, Hampton, VA; crash at sea of transport plane returning to Europe, all 13 dead.
- Firebaugh, Gordon Dale, SN 958-03-91, US Navy, Audubon Co. - d. 3 Sep 1945 at Treasure Island, CA; cause of death unknown.
- Garafalo, James Lester, SN 316-55-30 & O-329415, US Naval Aviation, Pott. Co. - d. 3 Jun 1946 in Escambia Bay 3.5 miles SE of Naval Air Station Ellyson Field, Escambia Co.; wind caught right wing float while landing, plane flipped and caught fire; both occupants died.
- Gill, Carl Edward, SN 316-39-25, US Naval Aviation, Pott. Co. - d. 20 Sep 1946 near Mexico City; crash of US Naval Attache’s plane.
- Hulsebus, William Lyle, SN 620-89-09, US Navy, Shelby Co. - d. 9 Oct 1944 at US Naval Base, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii Territory.
- Ivy, Dorsie Eugene, SN O-191-494, US Naval Aviation, Pott. Co. - d. 9 Jun 1943, Naval Air Station Hutchinson, Reno Co., KS, training flight crash.
- O’Connor, William Edward “Bucky”, SN 648-60-76, US Navy, Pott. Co. - d. 25 Feb 1945, San Bruno, San Mateo Co., CA, hit by automobile while walking on highway during an overnight leave.
- Pettie, Vernon Gerard, SN 648-57-95, US Navy, Pott. Co. - d. 8 Apr 1945, Samar, Philippines; drowning.
- Reynolds, Wayne Calbert, SN 564-07-41, US Navy, Cass Co. - d. 2 Sep 1945 Sarpy Co., NE; cause unknown.
- Sorenson, Robert H., SN 675-670, US Coast Guard, Shelby Co. - d. 29 Jan 1945 off Lunga Pt., Guadalcanal, Solomon Is.; USS Serpens exploded while loading depth charges; 196 Coast Guard personnel, 57 army stevedores, and two others died.
- Unmack, Paul Eugene, SN 390-96-96, US Navy, Pott. & Harrison Cos. - d. 22 Nov 1942, Wahpeton, ND.
- Wagner, Richard Paul, SN O-30916, US Marine Corps Aviation, Pott. Co. - d. 3 Mar 1944 E of San Juan Capistrano, Orange Co., CA; air accident while training.
Sources for Big Pigeon's WWII Roster > Roster Notes webpage:
- The webpage header photo, National WWII Memorial, is courtesy of https://washington.org/dc-guide-to/national-world-war-ii-memorial.