bigpigeon.us webpage WWII Japan > USMC War with Japan, © 2023 by Robert A. Christiansen, updated by RAC 1 Nov 2023.
Six United States Marine Corps divisions fought in World War II. All fought in the War with Japan in island battles in the Pacific Area. Generally Marine Corps forces would launch an amphibious invasion, secure the island, and turn over control of the island to US Army troops.
Here is a list of major battles in rough chronological order
- Solomon Islands - Guadalcanal & Tulagi, 7 Aug 1942, 1st Marine Div., replaced by 2nd Marine Div., Americal Div., & 25th Infantry Div.
- Solomon Islands - New Georgia
- Solomon Islands - Bougainville, 1 Nov 1943, 3rd Marine Div. (400 dead) & 37th Infantry Div.
- Gilbert Islands - Tarawa, 20 Nov 1943, 2nd Marine Division (1,009 dead)
- Bismarck Archipelago - Cape Gloucester, 26 Dec 1943, 1st Marine Division (310 dead)
- Marshall Islands - Kwajalein, 31 Jan 1944, 4th Marine Division (augmented) & 7th Infantry Division (total 531 dead).
- Marshall Islands - Eniwetok, 17 Feb 1944, 22nd Marine Regt. & 106th Inf. Regt. (total 390 dead).
- Marshall Islands - Saipan, 15 Jun 1944, 2nd & 4th Marine Divisions & 27th Infantry Division
- Marshall Islands - Guam, 21 Jul 1944, 3rd Marine Division (1,568 dead) & 77th Infantry Division.
- Palau Islands - Peleliu, 15 Sep 1944, 1st Marine Division (1,336 dead) & eventually 81st Infantry Division.
- Bonin & Volcano Islands - Iwo Jima, 3rd, 4th & 5th Marine Divisions
- Ryukyu Islands - Okinawa, 1st & 6th Marine Divisions