bigpigeon.us webpage World Wars > WW II Dead > WW II Dead - To Add, updated by RAC 11 Oct '19.
My Pottawattamie County WW II dead data currently includes everyone from two online sources, except for the 23 exceptions listed below. Links to these two sources, live as of August 2019:
- http://iagenweb.org/wwii/WWIIRollofHonor/PottawattamieRollofHonor.html -
- http://genealogytrails.com/iowa/pottawattamie/veterans_plaza.htm - Because of the number of transcription errors I found at the genealogytrails link, I used a parallel but more-accurate list from the roster on pp. 8-11 of the Council Bluffs Nonpareil's 2003 print publication, Heroes Remembered.
I do not include among my WW II dead the following five individuals whom I found in the WW II section of the Heroes Remembered roster. They all died in service and are buried in Council Bluffs. However, the first four enlisted after WW II hostilities ended and the fifth died in Vietnam. Thus I believe they belong in a different section of the Heroes Remembered roster.
- Grate, Forest Glenn, USAF - b. 20 Oct 1928; s/o Forest Glenn Grate & Perninah Jean “Jennie” Penman; enlisted Feb ’46; Sgt. 1100th Sta. Med, Gp.; d. 24 Aug ’48 in two-plane collision near Newton, NJ; bur. Memorial Park Cem., Co. Bluffs.
- Hathaway, Joseph L., US Army - b. 7 Oct ’29; s/o Gaylord Roy Hathaway & Lessie Pearl German; enlisted 16 Jan ’46; d. 17 Jul ’49 in Germany; bur. Memorial Park Cem., Co. Bluffs.
- Phipps, Louis Carroll, SN 3180449, US Navy - b. 8 Dec ’30; s/o Carroll Wilfred Phipps & Sarah Arlene Colwell; enlisted 19 Feb ’48; d. 6 Aug ’51 at Moffatt Field, CA; bur. Cedar Lawn Cem., Co. Bluffs.
- Pierson, Lawrence Eldon, US Navy - b. 2 Jan ’30 Co. Bluffs; s/o Leo Dallas Pierson & Eva Umble; enlisted ’48; d. at home on leave 3 Jul ’50; bur. Memorial Park Cem., Co. Bluffs.
- Leighton, Earl LaRoy, SN B608294, USN - b. 22 Oct ’37 Colorado; s/o Ellsworth Sherbeck Leighton & Erma Gertrude Kirby; enlisted ~ ’57 from Omaha; d. 17 Jan ’69 Bien Hoa, Dong Hai, Vietnam; bur. Cedar Lawn Cem., Co. Bluffs.
Remaining Pottawattamie County WW II Deaths from the bigpigeon.us WW II Dead Two Major Sources
(see the table below)
(see the table below)
- Cain, Orville J. - 11 Oct '19: This is Orville James Cain, SN 250572, Sgt., USMC, s/o M/M James E. Cain of rural Carson, Iowa survived WW II and died in 1987. 1st Defense Bn., probably at Wake IslandHe was a POW held by the Japanese, He married Bernice Rose Viola Kunze and is probably buried in Wheeler Grove Cemetery near Carson.
- Carlton, Earl - 14 Oct '19: This is Earl Carlton Alter, already in the bigpigeon.us WW II Dead list.
- Long, Fred O. - 14 Oct '19: This is James Fredrick McLoud, already in the bigpigeon.us WW II Dead list.
- Schickner, Bernard E. - 14 Oct '19: This is very likely Bernard E. Schickner, 1945-1972, buried in the Hardin Twp. Cem. SE of McClelland. Is he supposed to be on the Vietnam Deaths roster?
- Schmidt, Howard D. -14 Oct '19: This is very likely Dale Howard Schmidt, 1947-1968, who died in Vietnam and appears in the Vietnam roster of Heroes Remembered as Dale H. Schmidt. Dale was a friend of Eddie Spencer, who has erected a memorial on the grounds of the Twisted Tail in Beebeetown, IA.
- Sturd, Clarence V. - 14 Oct '19: This is Clarence Vincent Sturd, b. 18 May '15 in Newton, Harvey Co., KS & raised in Newton; s/o Frederick Sturd & Lizzie Holle; US Army SN 37-142-251 (KS), PFC, KIA; 19th Inf. Regt., 24th Inf. Div.; KIA 15 Feb '45; bur. Manila Amer. Cem., Philippines. (in Pott. Co. WW II Army deaths Clarence V. Sturd appears with SN 37-112-253) (RAC: the two service numbers are similar. I believe that it is unlikely thatClarence V. Sturd had a connection to Pottawattamie County, but a glitch in his unit record system data, which was kept on punched cards, led to his death being credited to Pottwattamie County rather than to Harvey County.)
- Wall, Charles E. - 14 Oct '19: This is Charles Edwin Wall born near Griswold in Pleasant Twp., Cass Co., in ETO in WW II; survived.
- Winger, Ancil W. - 14 Oct '19: This is Ancil Wayne Winger, SN 3164416, Electrician's Mate 3/c, US Navy; b. 29 Oct '16 Plattsmouth, NE s/o Earl Winger & Gladys Edie; raised in Co. Bluffs; parents at 1607 4th Ave. during WW II; submarine USS Perch (SS-176), damaged by Japanese destroyer torpedoes and scuttled NW of Surabaya, Java 3 Mar '42; POW (of the crew of 54, five died in captivity, 49 survived WW II); remained in service after WW II; married Elizabeth Jane "Betty" Wise '54; d. 8 May '86, bur. Ft. Logan Nat'l Cem., Denver, CO.
Cain, Carlton, Long/McLoud, Schmidt.