bigpigeon.us webpage History > SW Iowa History > The Mormon Years, updated by RAC 18 Oct 2023.
- The first waves of Mormon refugees from Illinois arrived in the Pottawattamie area in the late Spring of 1846.
- From 1846 until 1852, the majority of Pottawattamie area inhabitants were Mormon.
- From the Fall of 1846 through early 1848, many Mormons also lived in Winter Quarters, across the Missouri River from the Pottawattamie area.
- The Miller-Cooley companies, the last Mormon companies of Pottawattamie area residents, left for Utah in the Spring of 1853; Frederick Hawkins Piercy cited below accompanied this group.
Sources for Big Pigeon's History > Southwest Iowa History > The Mormon Years webpage:
- Route from Liverpool to the Great Salt Lake Valley by Frederick Hawkins Piercy, 1855 - https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0f/Journey_to_the_Great_Salt_Lake_Valley_%281855%29_%28IA_1531767652134PPa748105%29.pdf